April 14, 2010

Today the first step toward changing a little bit my life was made. I sat up the appointment with the driving instructor.

My relationship with cars is a complicated one. During the first 20 years of my life I hardly ever had been in the car. I never minded the commuting as I became older it always provided me with the life theater and of course, it gave me time to read. I never could read in a car, the motion sickness was very first obstacle for me loving the cars. But then my friends started to get cars and I found that those things on four wheals are sometimes very useful especially for the trips to the country side. The traffic back than wasn't too bad in the Moscow. Right now it so horrible that I still prefer commuting even given a chance of riding in the car. If you can imagine more than 10 million people trying to get to work in the morning and than back home, unfortunately reality is even worse than one would imagine. The city is always working on the improving the roads, building new ramps, new routes, and still they say, at the pace the city is growing when they finish current renovations the traffic will be even worse than now. Too many people. Ok I drifted.

So at the same time my friends started getting the cars, I met my husband and we moved here. And I discovered that I now have to start driving, because living in Western Massachusetts you basically can't get almost anywhere if you don't drive. Bus is a rare creature in those parts. I easily got my learners permit, but I almost hated to drive. Having a stick-shift car wasn't helping either. My instructor and me, were almost divorcing every couple weeks, I was crying, he was yelling, not a pretty picture. Things got a bit better when we bought an old used car with automatic transmission. After a few months I passed my driving test and started driving. It wasn't too bad, when you are driving on the quiet western mass roads almost nothing happens, and I even started to like it. I rarely pushed the gas over 50 and avoided highways. Soon it was time to move to the big city where my hubby got a new job. To my surprise I made it, didn't cause a major accident on the route 90 and brought my friend who kept me company on a long drive and my plant safely to our new location.

After that I felt much more confident, and started driving a bit more. But it all lasted only a few weeks until my husband decided that it was not worth having a second car and gave it away since it was old Lincoln. I started commuting again which was fine since we lived in the big city and there was a subway nearby. By the way we lived at the other end of the line that I am using now.

Couple more years passed, and one day I just woke up with the urge to drive, I really wanted to get behind the wheal and we started trying again and I even remembered something and enjoyed the whole thing much more. But I got a job right in the downtown and finding a parking was very hard there and commute was very good so having a car wasn't necessary, once again I decided not to switch.

A few more years passed and here I am still not driving and taking a driving lessons at the age of 32. It is going to be a very interesting experience. I hope something from my passed experiences will resurface so I won't have to start from scratch.

The instructor even on the phone sounded like a character. I found him on Yelp! which is also new thing for me, everybody liked and recommended him. I am very hopeful at this point, too bad he is pretty booked and we will start only at the begging of May, but on the other hand we don't have a second car either yet. Let's see what mister "cash is my middle name" will teach me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment