August 23, 2010

A few days ago I finished reading a novel "The Island" by Elin Hilderbrand. This turned out to be one of the romantic stories that I swore off quite a while ago. It was a recommendation by one of the women book clubs so I suspected that from the start but decided that variety probably will do me good.

It was quite an amusing read and I did enjoy it. Probably because the last book like this I had read 9 years ago so it was almost refreshing. I am like so many women deep inside quite a romantic and this book reminded me about this almost forgotten feature. Sometimes it made me smile and a few times I wanted to bang my head against something hard.

Pretty often I think these kind of books should be gathered and buried somewhere as they raise very unhealthy expectations and I saw too many girls that couldn't separate fiction and reality. These stories are hopelessly romantic and have almost absolutely nothing to do with the reality. They cater to the woman's dream of the perfect man (prince) that will come along and all the worries will be over. Also they somehow all follow the same plot points. So enough is enough I probably will wait a few more years to read another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment