April 10, 2010

Sick again, second time in last couple weeks. I guess we all are stressing out a bit and the immune system is giving up. At this point none of us is completely healthy.

As I am trying to talk to my son, I am always solving the dilemma, should I trust him or not. He is definitely lying sometimes, and sometimes he can say the truth. He is a little person and of course I want to respect his opinions and trust him, but well... he is two and a bit and I quite a few times discovered that his answers don't match reality. But you can't also disregard everything he says, because sometimes he does make a very valuable point. Today we learned a little lesson on that. The story of the eew factor of being a parent to follow...

We potty train our son, and he sometimes wears underpants at home, not diaper, so we always have to check on him, and go to the bathroom frequently. He is getting more and more in control over the process but still doesn't get why he needs to do that, so it is not his favorite thing. This evening it all started with him peeing in his underwear, and us being a bit mad because we just asked him and of course we shouldn't have listened to him when he said that he doesn't want to go, because it was pretty long since he went last time. I cleaned up the mess and decided to leave him bottomless since it was almost time to go to sleep. My husband and I just sat for a quick dinner and of course suddenly our son tells us that he has to go again, after moments hesitation I went with him and to my surprise he actually needed to go. He got his reward for telling us. Five minutes later he says that he needs to go again, we looked at each other and laughed it out, then continued with the dinner until one minute later our son was running around the living room and spreading his crap. O, the joys of parenthood. For a second being in shock we bolted to stop him, cleaned the mess and put him on the toilet.

And this is the story that put me on the path thinking about the children and trust. So the question of the day, how one can decide when to trust your child and when disregard?

No comments:

Post a Comment