June 28, 2010

Looking at the my week I realized that nothing worth blogging about had happened. So I had decided to write about the books I am reading.

To get it out of the way, first let me tell you, as I am finishing up John Case's "The first horseman", I am finding myself not eager to know what will happen next at all. It was quite predictable and a bit boring. More and more often I find "bestselling" books failing me in one way or another. Last week I was reading "The girl with the dragon tattoo" and for a change it was very interesting, but at some point the disgusting stuff came out and I sometimes feel very sorry I've read it. I really don't like violence, this why I also I can't watch horror movies. My imagination translates it into the realty so fast I can't enjoy any of it. So I am still contemplating if I should read the next book from "The girl" series or not. Well this is it with my "entertainment" reads.

The other two books are really a pleasure to read. "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin has
everything that I like. But let me step out a little bit. I have never been a big fan of self-help books, not because I think they are useless, it is just so I always found that so many of them talk a lot about how to set up goals or very interesting theories but there is not too much about how to achieve those goals or the examples that would work in a real world. And as they state the statistics it is hard to say where it came from.
So with Gretchens book I don't have any of those problems. She is very clear where she gets her ideas, what worked and what didn't, she did her research, and she likes to read so as a bonus I got quite a few ideas for my reading list.

Next book is "Raising Boys" by Steve Biddulph. It's a parenting book which I also enjoy. It's hard to pin point why I like it, other than it is easy to read and I find information quite useful. Although I wish they would find another way to include parents experiences, sometimes those blocks are really placed in the middle of the paragraph so you need to leaf through to continue and then to come back, or you need to disrupt your reading and then remember where you got destructed.

Tomorrow is going to be the day for me to search for a new book for my "entertainment list", and I think I might pick up something that I know and like, because I really didn't care about
the last few books so I am starting to lose my faith a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment